Why Should I Purchase a TENS Unit?
The Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) unit is a noninvasive way to block or override signals from your nerves to the spine and the brain. TENS units have different adjustable settings and voltage controls which help control the intensity of stimulation.
What Can a TENS Unit Do for Me?
A TENS unit is a machine used to increase the quality of life for people with chronic or acute pain. It is a commonly used treatment device that increases your body’s production of Endorphins, which is a natural painkiller. Through the use of electrodes, electrical currents are sent through the body to decrease pain signals.
How Exactly Does it Work?
Electrodes are placed on specific spots on the user’s body, depending on the source of pain. Once placed on the user’s pain source, the current travels through the electrodes and into the skin creating a tingling or massaging sensation within the user’s nerve pathways. This reduces the perception of pain or discomfort. The skin creates a series of nerve fibers that reduce pain signals to the brain. As a user of the device, you can control the location and intensity of the electrical stimulation. However, it is important to note that pain relief is different for each individual. Some experience pain relief instantly, while others find relief after using the device.
In addition to controlling pain relief, the TENS unit provides a type of electrical stimulation that can improve local circulation and can work to reduce or eliminate muscle spasms completely.
Benefits of a TENS Unit
Still on the fence of purchasing a TENS unit? Take a look at all the benefits of making this investment. The TENS unit:
- Reduces pain and discomfort
- Increases circulation and healing
- Increase motion and function
- Decreases the use of pain relievers and other analgesic drugs
- Increase sleep patterns
Who can a TENS Unit Benefit?
Not only does the TENS unit have many benefits, it also has many different uses. Think about purchasing a unit if your suffer from one of the following:
- Back pain caused by disc problems, spine degeneration, or failed back surgery
- Cancer-related pain
- Phantom-limb pain
- Migraine or chronic tension-type headaches
- Nerve pain from conditions such as diabetes or Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS)
Quick Tips for Using a TENS Unit
Did you recently purchase a TENS unit? Here are some tips for using your new machine:
- Before applying the electrodes onto your body, be sure to remove all lotions, creams, oils, and other products that have been applied to the skin
- Although not required, we recommend shaving hair from local areas where electrodes are going to be placed
- Never place an electrode over an open wound or area with irritated skin
- Do not place electrodes over the eyes and/or throat area
- Do not use while in the shower or tub
- Do not maximize the intensity of the unit in hope of faster pain relief. Set the intensity to a level that still allows you to complete your daily tasks
Say goodbye to the days of forcing yourself to tolerate the pain. If you or a loved one is looking to purchase a Drive TENS unit, be sure to pick yours up from one of our Adapt Home Health Care locations in the GTA.